[Linux-cluster] linux cluster and virtualization - shared xend-config.sxp

Aaron Benner tfrumbacher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:56:32 UTC 2009

All,

The documentation provided via the conga cluster recipe (Add a virtual
machine as a clustered service) states that:

1) "Both xen config files [e.g. xend-config-sxp] and VM disk images
must be located on shared storage, with identical mount paths for each
node"

and then on the next slide states:

2) "Xend must be running on each node, and MUST BE STARTED BEFORE THE
CMAN CLUSTER DAEMON"

However, it seems to me that this creates a chicken and egg problem.
In particular if my xend-config.sxp is on a shared storage device (In
my case a gfs2 formatted iSCSI disk) then doesn't that imply that I
must have cluster services running to mount/access the filesystem.  If
that is the case then it is impossible for me to start xend before
cman as my xend-config.sxp will not exist until cman starts and I
mount my gfs2 partition.

The only other documentation I found for this setup: http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/08/23/automated-failover-and-recovery-of-virtualized-guests-in-advanced-platform/
  says absolutely nothing about system service startup order and
includes an example of a cluster node reboot.

So, my question is this; is the default ordering of system service
startup (cman < xend) workable with virtual machines defined as
cluster services?

Thanks -- Aaron