[Linux-cluster] GNBD vs DRBD to mirror two disks via the network

Kaloyan Kovachev kkovachev at varna.net
Mon Jul 13 14:57:38 UTC 2009

Hi,
 DRBD is what you would want to use here and will beter do the job. It is
possible to create software raid 1 over GNBD and local drive/partition, but
not recomended.

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:40:28 +0100, Bushby, Bruce \(London\)\(c\) wrote

> Greetings!
>
> I'm hoping a member could assist me in clearing up some understanding I
appear to be missing when it comes to GNBD.

> Today I clustered two vmware machines (active/passive shared nothing) and
then configure GNBD....thats when I noticed it
> wants to "export" a device from one node and "import" the device on the
other node...which I did and it all works....but that is
> not what I was after.
>
> Can GNBD be configured to keep two disks on different systems in sync using
both synchronous and asynchronous write options?

> Further research appears to dictate DRDB would be more suited for what I'm
trying to do. (build active/passive clusters on cheap
> storage..ie no SAN to replicate and no scsi to share)
>
> Any help much appreciated!!!!
>

> Bruce Bushby
> Unix Engineering

> Please consider the environment before printing this email or its attachments.
> The contents of this email are for the named addressees only. It contains
information which may be confidential and privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy this email
and any attachments and do not otherwise disclose or use them. Email
transmission is not a secure method of communication and Man Investments
cannot accept responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of this email or
any attachments. Whilst Man Investments makes every effort to keep its network
free from viruses, it does not accept responsibility for any computer virus
which might be transferred by way of this email or any attachments. This email
does not constitute a request, offer, recommendation or solicitation of any
kind to buy, subscribe, sell or redeem any investment instruments or to
perform other such transactions of any kind. Man Investments reserves the
right to monitor, record and retain all electronic communications through its
network to ensure the integrity of its systems, for record keeping and
regulatory purposes.