[Linux-cluster] disk fencing

James Devine fxmulder at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 15:43:14 UTC 2009

I had looked at qdisk, it looks like qdisk is just a way for the nodes
to share information about what it thinks the current cluster status
is.  It looked like external fencing still needed to take place, which
was normally some power or network intervention.

I was thinking of using the disk to do the fencing also.  It could use
the status information provided in the quorum disk for nodes to
determine if they are fenced off or not.  In the case of complete
cutoff from disk, the remaining nodes would have to work under the
assumption that the failed node(s) were no longer trying to access
disk as they were making no more status updates to the quorum disk for
a period of time.  So they would be "fenced off" as it were, and the
remaining nodes could continue on without them until the node(s) came
back and made further status updates to the quorum disk.  This way,
fencing could be done completely independent of the hardware running,
no need for network or power management.