[Linux-cluster] Hardware recommendation

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Sat Jul 25 22:36:27 UTC 2009

Good point-the requisite CPU technology has been available for at least
3 years, so I tend to assume most users are running 64-bit processors
with VT by now.  However, I suppose it's possible there are many older
systems still in production.

We happen to use several 1950-class machines which have been repurposed
for this.  They work very well with Xen hypervisors.  The 1950 can be
inexpensively upgraded to 16GB RAM, and have two sockets which can
accommodate 8 cores.  With shared storage, the 1U chassis gives very
good density where space is a premium.  If 1950's are available, they
can be a bargain for virtualization.

And, as you say, VT is required for some deployments.  Though I'd like
to think most non-VT capable hardware will be long gone by the time
RHEL5 reaches EOL.

Power consumption should be a consideration too.  It might be worth
retiring some systems to save on power alone.  I don't have good numbers
handy comparing power consumption vs. performance of different processor
generations-perhaps someone else does.