[Linux-cluster] Snapshot and backups

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Tue Jul 28 19:55:12 UTC 2009

We've set up things a little differently than you.  Our domU images are
CLVM partitions, e.g. /dev/cvg/guest1, /dev/cvg/guest2, not image files
on a GFS filesystem.

This design will allow us to take advantage of single-host snapshots,
once they are supported.

Bear in mind the ramifications of taking dirty snapshots of a domU host.
At any point in time the domU has unflushed buffers.  If you do snapshot
these you'll likely have to fsck the snapshot filesystem before it is
usable.

Many Xen users probably stick with traditional backup solutions--if you
want to know more you may want to ask on the xen-users list.