[Linux-cluster] Networking guidelines for RHCS across datacenters

brem belguebli brem.belguebli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 09:22:23 UTC 2009

Hello,

That sounds pretty much to the question I've asked to this mailing-list last
May (https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2009-May/msg00093.html).

We are in the same setup, already doing "Geo-cluster" with other technos and
we are looking at RHCS to provide us the same service level.

Latency could be a problem indeed if too high , but in a lot of cases (many
companies for which I've worked), datacenters are a few tens of kilometers
far, with a latency max close to 1 ms, which is not a problem.

Let's consider this kind of setup, 2 datacenters far from each other by 1 ms
delay, each hosting a SAN array, each of them connected to 2 SAN fabrics
extended between the 2 sites.

What reason would prevent us from building Geo-clusters without having to
rely on a database replication mechanism, as the setup I would like to
implement would also be used to provide NFS services that are disaster
recovery proof.

Obviously, such setup should rely on LVM mirroring to allow a node hosting a
service to be able to write to both local and distant SAN LUN's.

Brem