[Linux-cluster] using lacie ethernet disk raid as shared storage

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 11:15:56 UTC 2009

2009/6/25 Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net>

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:38:04 +0200, ESGLinux <esggrupos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I can mount this disk with NFS (also with CIFS but I´m not using this
> > protocol)
> >
> > My idea was to mount the disk with NFS on the 2 nodes of a red hat
> cluster,
> > but I don´t know if it is a good idea. (perhaps no :-( )
>
> There's no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't do this. If all you want is
> some shared storage and don't care about the single point of failure, then
> this is exactly what the device was intended for. :)

ok, I´m always afraid with data corruption and thougth I will have problems
with this, but If you think that there is not problem I´ll folow your advice
( at my own risk of course, ;-)

> > The cluster are going to serve a HA httpd service (I know, with this disk
> > have a SPOF, but that is all I have, no money for more .-(( )
> >
> > any suggestion with this scenario?
>
> It should "just work" as you described. NFS mount it on both nodes and
> point Apache at it as per usual. It'll probably work faster than a
> clustered file system solution. For redundancy, however, if you have enough
> disk space on the web nodes, you could set up mirrored storage using DRBD
> and run GFS on top of that. You'd end up with full redundancy and no need
> for the NAS (assuming, as I said, that nodes have enough space). Note that
> fencing would be absolutely mandatory if you use GFS or else either node
> failing would halt the cluster to prevent data corruption.

I was allways looking for an oportunity to test DRBD. I think now is the
moment. My reference web about DRBD is http://www.drbd.org/, any advice,
read,  before I begin to test it?

ESG