[Linux-cluster] increasing gfs size to add journals on existing file system

Brett Cave brettcave at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:45:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Bob Peterson <rpeterso at redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Brett Cave" <brettcave at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>
> That issue has always been a design problem with GFS.  You need to
> increase the size of the device before doing gfs_jadd.  Don't make
> the mistake of running gfs_grow immediately because that will consume
> your new storage for file system space and still leave you no room
> for any new journals.  Only run gfs_grow after you've added the
> journals you need.

Thanks Bob, I have increased the relevant vdisks,  going to rescan the disks
and then add the journals. We ran into some instability issues with gfs2
locking up while we were testing a good few months ago, so going to
sacrifice bleeding edge for stability as its a production system.

Will keep my eye on gfs2 and see how it runs in our test environment when we
get past this phase. 8 months of stable gfs is great :) (we found the older
kmod_gfs or cman had a node numbering issue which caused some locking up a
while ago, but this has been resolved)

how is gfs2 running on your side?