[Linux-cluster] Can two clusters have same name?

Chrissie Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 07:58:49 UTC 2009

Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What happens if in the same network, we try to create two clusters with
> the same name?
>
> Does it cause any problem?

YES LOTS!

At best the two clusters will merge into one, at worst you will get node
evictions because of clashes between node IDs

Actually you *can* do this if you change the cluster_id/multicast
address or port number in cluster.conf. But need to be careful and it is
not recommended.

The main reason I say not to do this is that GFS volumes have the
cluster name embedded in the super block. If you have two clusters with
the same cluster name on the same SAN then it's going to be very easy to
totally corrupt the GFS filesystem by mounting it on two different clusters.

Chrissie