[Linux-cluster] Freeze with cluster-2.03.11

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 03:36:16 UTC 2009

> I should get some sleep - but can't it be that I hit the potential
> deadlock mentioned here:

Please take my observation with a grain of salt (as I don't have Linux
source code in front of me to check the exact locking sequence, nor can I
afford spending time on this) ...

I don't see a strong evidence of deadlock (but it could) from the thread
backtraces However, assuming the cluster worked before, you could have
overloaded the e1000 driver in this case. There are suspicious page faults
but memory is very "ok". So one possibility is that GFS had generated too
many sync requests that flooded the e1000. As the result, the cluster heart
beat missed its interval. Do you have the same ethernet card for both AOE
and cluster traffic ? If yes, seperate them to see how it goes. And of
course, if you don't have Ben's mmap patch (as you described in your post),
it is probably a good idea to get it into your gfs-kmod.

But honestly,  I think running GFS1 on newer kernels is a bad idea.

-- Wendy