[Linux-cluster] Cluster Networks

Paul Dugas Paul at dugas.cc
Mon Mar 30 17:56:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 12:43 -0400, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> [...]

Availability is not my concern here but I appreciate the info.  I
maintain a physically separate SAN (separate switch) for the AoE traffic
with jumbo frames enabled and those interfaces are already doubled up
supporting AoE multipath.  That network is all Etherent, no IP.

My question is more aimed at cluster stability and consistency.  Members
are monitoring each other via IP traffic over their LAN interfaces and
I'm wondering if that is the correct way for the cluster to operate.
I'm not familiar with the internals of the clustering software at all
but I had a thought that since the cluster is solely in place to utilize
shared GFS volumes, is it best that they monitor each other via the same
network they access the volumes over?  Or, is it correct that they
utilize the same LAN network that clients of the cluster are on?

It would be simple to setup an IP subnet for the SAN and adjust the
cluster configs to use those names/addresses instead.  I'm just
wondering if that's the "correct" way to do this.

Thanks again,
Paul
--
Paul Dugas - paul at dugas.cc - 404.932.1355