[Linux-cluster] Heartbeat time outs in rhel4 understanding

Elias, Michael EliasM at dnb.com
Tue May 5 17:48:09 UTC 2009

I am trying to understand how these timers interact with each other.

In a RHEL4 cluster the heartbeat defaults are;

hello_timer:5

max_retries:5

deadnode_timeout:21

Meaning a heartbeat message is sent every 5 seconds, if it fails to
receive a response it will start a deadnode counter @ 21 seconds. It
will also try to send 5 more heartbeat requests. What is the interval of
those retries? If none of those requests receive a response. 5 seconds
pass.. there is 15 seconds left on the deadnode timer and we try upto 5
times to get a response.... This goes on until we hit the 4th iteration
of the hellotimer it tries again upto 5 times and fails... we then hit
the 21 second on the deadnode time.. fenced takes over and wham reboot.

Is my understanding of this correct????

Thanks for any help..

Michael