[Linux-cluster] Home-brew SAN/iSCSI

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Sat Oct 10 19:01:46 UTC 2009

Hi all,

   Until now, I've been building 2-node clusters using DRBD+LVM for the
shared storage. I've been teaching myself clustering, so I don't have a
world of capital to sink into hardware at the moment. I would like to
start getting some experience with 3+ nodes using a central SAN disk.

   So I've been pricing out the minimal hardware for a four-node cluster
and have something to start with. My current hiccup though is the SAN
side. I've searched around, but have not been able to get a clear answer.

   Is it possible to build a host machine (CentOS/Debian) to have a
simple MD device and make it available to the cluster nodes as an
iSCSI/SAN device? Being a learning exercise, I am not too worried about
speed or redundancy (beyond testing failure types and recovery).

Thanks for any insight, advice, pointers!

Madi