[Linux-cluster] Home-brew SAN/iSCSI

Andrew A. Neuschwander andrew at ntsg.umt.edu
Sat Oct 10 19:32:34 UTC 2009

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   Until now, I've been building 2-node clusters using DRBD+LVM for the
> shared storage. I've been teaching myself clustering, so I don't have a
> world of capital to sink into hardware at the moment. I would like to
> start getting some experience with 3+ nodes using a central SAN disk.
>
>   So I've been pricing out the minimal hardware for a four-node cluster
> and have something to start with. My current hiccup though is the SAN
> side. I've searched around, but have not been able to get a clear answer.
>
>   Is it possible to build a host machine (CentOS/Debian) to have a
> simple MD device and make it available to the cluster nodes as an
> iSCSI/SAN device? Being a learning exercise, I am not too worried about
> speed or redundancy (beyond testing failure types and recovery).
>
> Thanks for any insight, advice, pointers!
>
> Madi

If you want to use a Linux host as a iscsi 'server' (a target in iscsi
terminiology), you can use IET, the iSCSI Enterprise Target:
http://iscsitarget.sourceforge.net/. I've used it and it works well, but
  it is a little CPU hungry. Obviously, you don't get the benefits of a
hardware SAN, but you don't get the cost either.

-Andrew
--
Andrew A. Neuschwander, RHCE
Systems/Software Engineer