[Linux-cluster] OT: how to monitor VLAN membership

brem belguebli brem.belguebli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:19:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

I can't see how your problem could be solved.

Your wrong switch, as long as it has ports UP in a given Vlan (your
physical hosts) , wether or not this Vlan is well propagated to its
adjacent switches, will consider the Vlan being UP (not pruned).

Every host (physical) connected to this switch will see each other (at
MAC level and IP for your VM's)  but not the ones connected to other
switches on the same Vlan.

>From what I can guess, your switch is connected to other ones thru
trunks (802.1q Vlan tagged links) but this specific VlanID was not
propagated between all the switches.

This is generally  due to a misconfiguration, ie on IOS cisco based
switches switchport trunk allowed vlan 1, x, y except your specific VM
Vlan.

The only way to address this would be to have a L3 (IP) interface
configured on your core switches (not on the leaf ones where your
hosts are physically connected) on which the Vlan is present and test
it thru ping.

Brem