[Linux-cluster] hwo to build a virtual FC-san environment

Bai Shuwei baishuwei at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:25:36 UTC 2009

Pasi and Rafael:
    Thanks first.
    My purpose is to build a SAN environment which can support multipath. I
should use the linux environment. So I think the vmware can meet my
requirement.
    But I know little on multipath, from the redhat document, the HBA,
fabric switch are needed. So I want to use the normal source to
build/emulator the multpath environment.

Best Regards!

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Rafael Micó Miranda <rmicmirregs at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Bai
>
> El jue, 15-10-2009 a las 13:22 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen escribió:
> > On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 05:57:42PM +0800, Bai Shuwei wrote:
> > >    All:
> > >    Â Â Â  I want to build a viratual FC-SAN environment for learning.
> But I
> > >    don't know whether there are some useful documents and tools for it.
> > >    Hoping get you help on it.
> >
> > I don't know if you can do 'virtual FC'.
> >
> > I'd recommend you to use iSCSI. Easy to configure and setup without any
> > special hardware.
> >
> > -- Pasi
> >
> > --
>
> I understand that you need a "shared storage from a SAN" to be used by a
> group of virtual machines, don't you?
>
> In the past I had an VMWare ESX "Virtual FC-SAN" for the purpose of
> developing and testing cluster solutions.
>
> The way i managed that was, more or less (I cant get access to the
> documentation right now), using a real SAN LUN in VMWare and offering it
> to several virtual machines as a RAW device, so the same device could be
> reachable by all VMs at the same time. I think there was also something
> to do with the NPIV of the ESX servers, but I can't remember it clearly.
>
> The VMs were not aware of the device being on a SAN, but at least it was
> a way to have the same SCSI device in several VMs at the same time, so
> you can try things as GFS or shared storage clusters.
>
> I'm sorry the only proposal is using VMWare, maybe someone can propose
> more solutions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Rafael Micó Miranda

Love other people, as same as love yourself!
Don't think all the time, do it by your hands!

Personal URL: http://dslab.lzu.edu.cn:8080/members/baishw/
E-Mail: baishuwei at gmail.com