[Linux-cluster] RFC: Configuration of Red Hat clusters in Cluster 3

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Wed Oct 28 12:39:55 UTC 2009

On 28/10/09 11:51, Kaloyan Kovachev wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:32:39 -0500, David Teigland wrote
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 08:21:50PM +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>>> 2) if we use httpd only to distribute cluster.conf, then I?d like to see
>>> "httploader" (or please find a better a name) being a wrapper for wget
>>> rather than a brand new piece of code. It will allow us to automatically
>>> gain access to ftp, https, and it has all the bits required for
>>> username/password handling (in case somebody wants to secure httpd
>>> properly).
>>
>> Yes, I like wget.
>>

> I think it is very easy for an admin to include "wget<conf_location>  -o
> /etc/cluster/cluster.conf" inside cman start or even add a hash check of the
> downloaded (in /tmp) file before moving it to /etc/cluster so there is no need
> for this to be a module for the initial boot. This will help in the case when
> a node was offline.
>
> For the update on a running node, multicast from/to the cluster members is
> much better i think.
>
> Is it possible on startup to read from the local file only the cluster name,
> version, multicast address and the key file, then to 'request' the current
> version number and new config if newer from the running nodes?

Having a different protocol for initial join and updates is a
non-starter, it's far too complicated and inconsistent.

And if sysadmin adds the wget to the startup sequence then that only
fixes things until the configuration needs updating ... then we're back
to manually distributing the file, so it really doesn't solve anything.

Multicasting a whole config file is also fraught with difficulties -
some of which were exemplified by the now-abandoned CCSD.

Chrissie