[Linux-cluster] dealing with oom-killer....

Corey Kovacs corey.kovacs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 10:33:51 UTC 2009

A colleague has a 5 node cluster with 4GB ram in each node. It's not enough
for the cluster and more ram is on the way. The problem though is that until
the ram arrives, there is risk of oom-killer (which he found out the other
day) firing up and putting the node into a state which made it utterly
useless but still looked good to the cluster. We could of course disable
oom-killer but that's a workaround, not a fix.

I am wondering if the cluster responding to oom-killer firing up and fencing
the offending node is possible and if so, how others might have done it.
Seems like it should just be handled by the cluster tho. Maybe have cman put
a message across the openais "bus" like, "Hey, losing my brain here, someone
whak me"...

Thanks

Corey