[Linux-cluster] exact iptables command to stop a source from accessing a Linux cluster

Ian Hayes cthulhucalling at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 03:38:25 UTC 2009

[root at cthulhu ~]# iptables -L --line-numbers
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
num  target     prot opt source               destination
1    DROP       all  --  10.5.5.5             anywhere
2    DROP       all  --  10.5.5.6             anywhere
3    DROP       all  --  10.5.5.7             anywhere

Find the rule number that matches the one you want to delete. Say you want
to delete #2 from the INPUT table

[root at cthulhu ~]# iptables -D INPUT 2
[root at cthulhu ~]# iptables -L --line-numbers
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
num  target     prot opt source               destination
1    DROP       all  --  10.5.5.5             anywhere
2    DROP       all  --  10.5.5.7             anywhere

Or you can do iptables -F which will basically drop all your iptables. Make
sure you've saved recently before you do that.