[Linux-cluster] GFS Volume Over NFS

brem belguebli brem.belguebli at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:37:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

NFS is file-oriented, not block device oriented.

On both client and server side, NFS handles filesystems not block devices.

GFS relies on block devices to run, not regular files (like all other
filesystems, except NFS that relies on a lower level filesystem: ext3,
GFS, etc.....)

Indeed, building a GFS on NFS can't easily be done, unless using
emulated block devices thru the loop driver based on regular files
exported via NFS .... but that is more of a trick than a real setup,
without talking of the performance impact.

Brem