[Linux-cluster] "openais[XXXX]" [TOTEM] Retransmit List: XXXXX" in /var/log/messages

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Wed Apr 7 16:58:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 18:52 +0800, Bernard Chew wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed "openais[XXXX]" [TOTEM] Retransmit List: XXXXX" repeated
> every few hours in /var/log/messages. What does the message mean and
> is it normal? Will this cause fencing to take place eventually?

This means your network environment dropped packets and totem is
recovering them.  This is normal operation, and in future versions such
as corosync no notification is printed when recovery takes place.

There is a bug, however, fixed in revision 2122 where if the last packet
in the order is lost, and no new packets are unlost after it, the
processor will enter a failed to receive state and trigger fencing.

Regards
-steve