[Linux-cluster] Announce: Node Assassin - Open hardware cluster fence device

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Tue Apr 20 03:35:12 UTC 2010

On 10-04-19 11:26 PM, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On 4/19/2010 8:48 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> Hi Clustering folks!
>>
>>    I wanted to announce a new open hardware, open source cluster fence
>> device:
>>
>>    Node Assassin - http://nodeassassin.org
>>
>>    After four months and a lot of help from friends at http://hacklab.to,
>> the first version is done and ready for the lime light! (warts and all)
>
> well.. congratulation!!! I have been looking forward to build something
> similar myself, but never found the time.

Thank you! :)

>>    It fully implements the FenceAgentAPI, including independent sensing
>> of a Node's on/off status. There is a simple installer and uninstaller
>> that has been tested on CentOS 5.x and should work on any system
>> supporting Red Hat style clustering.
>
> Do you think we can work out a merge strategy to be able to ship
> fence_na directly withing cluster releases? I´d love to see it
> integrated right away.

I've been trying to get in touch with someone at Red Hat do accomplish
this very thing. With luck, I will find the right person soon. I
designed the software with Red Hat in mind, so hopefully it will be a
simple task.

>>    This is my first "official" open source project, so I would love to
>> hear some feedback even if you don't plan to use it yourself. :)
>
> I am no hw expert (not any more anyway..) but it looks nice.
>

>>    If you don't want to build your own, I am working with an embedded
>> systems engineer in the hope of having pre-built units available in the
>> next few months. They will support 8 to 64 nodes each depending on the
>> model. If you think you would be interested in this, please let me know.
>> Whether these see the light of day or not largely depends on the
>> feedback I get.
>
> Well if you get around to build them, please let me know. I am
> interested in a bunch of them ;)
>
> Cheers
> Fabio

Thank you for the interest! We're hoping to have them ready before too
long. If I know someone wants a bunch, it will motivate me to get it
done that much sooner!

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux at alteeve.com