[Linux-cluster] How does caching work in GFS1?

Peter Schobel pschobel at 1iopen.net
Thu Aug 12 16:25:49 UTC 2010

In this cluster the nodes only have 4G of RAM and 4G of swap. Running
top indicates that there are about 3G used and 1G free and nothing is
swapping.

So running gfs_tool counters shows me that there are around 200000
locks and around 150000-160000 locks held.

Glocks reclaimed is 22764386 and the rate is around 0-1000/s

When running the test on the large directory, I see that the number of
locks and locks held stays pretty much the same (below 200000). The
number of glocks reclaimed fluctuates between 0-15000/s. The number of
glock nq calls and glock dq calls is between 3000-6000/s.

Currently I have glock_purge = 0 and reclaim_limit = 500000 so I don't
understand why there are any glocks being reclaimed at all. This is
what I have been struggling with since I don't feel as though the
tunable parameter changes are doing anything.

When running the test on the smaller directory, I see that the the
usage patterns are pretty much the same initially but following that,
the glocks reclaimed drops to between 0-5000/s and then on subsequent
runs, the du completes so quickly and I can't see any glocks being
reclaimed at all which is the behavior I would expect to see.

It's a bit perplexing.

Peter
~

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm at eprize.com> wrote:
> [...]