[Linux-cluster] RHCS separate datacenter

rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 12 18:35:01 UTC 2010

Thanks for those clarifications, Laszlo... and here's a few more:

Yes, GFS "comes with" CS, because RH built that dependency on those two layered software products; I was merely pointing out that the question only mentioned CS, not GFS nor any other shared and/or replicated storage being used in conjunction with CS.  So the fencing comment was appropriate for GFS, but it made me wonder why the stretch?

I did state the same physical LAN requirement; my point was that having a physical LAN for a _remote_ datacenter was _less likely_.  So we all agree on the same thing: Red Hat Clustering works on the same physical LAN, whether that physical LAN stretches a 100 inches or a 100 miles.  I think Ana should reveal more about her implementation rather than hearing about yours.  ;)

And what part of what I said is "false"?  I didn't say anything that fail-over AND load-balancing were required.  Fail-over can be achieved in numerous ways and without RH supplied tools; the load-balancing is native to Linux using IPVS.  But back to the original question: will Red Hat support ... ?  If you use your OWN fail-over strategy, you OWN it.

Yes, OpenAIS (and likewise the former pulse on RHEL4, sorry for dating myself) is for fail-over which (either) can operate on different LANs.  And to my knowledge and not practical use, the load-balancing (IPVS) can work on different LANs -- if the tunneling option is used.  But my point was that I have not seen any implementation that also maintains IPVS client-session tracking on DIFFERENT LANs (which is NOT a problem if it is on the same physical LAN, like your setup).  It is that last point that has obvious implications on the scope and objectives for those seeking a "supportable" Linux-based solution.

Have a great day!