[Linux-cluster] Question about gfs2_tools lockdump

Scooter Morris scooter at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu Dec 2 18:27:59 UTC 2010

Hi all,
     I've got a 5 node RHEL 5.5 cluster with a number of gfs2
filesystems.  After a lot of effort (and help from RedHat) we've gotten
to the stage where the cluster is quite stable, but now we're starting
to see some performance degradation.   In investigating this, I've been
poking around and I'm seeing some things that I can't explain.  In
particular, on a quite filesystem (no processes according to lsof on all
nodes), a gfs2_tool lockdump gives 1,000's of lock entries (G: lines).
Of those several have R: entries (resource group?) and several have H:
entries.  The H: entries are particularly strange because all H: entries
are of the form:
     H: s:EX f:H e:0 p:8953 [(ended)] ...

My understanding is that this indicates a lock holder with an exclusive
lock, but the process has ended (?).   Why aren't these locks going
away?  Shouldn't they be cleared after the process ends (particularly
since some of them are exclusive locks...)?  Any help in understanding
these entries would be very helpful.

-- scooter