[Linux-cluster] GFS on AOE

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Tue Dec 7 09:52:35 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 15:48 +0800, Jacky Lam wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>      I am new to GFS. I search through web but could not get a
> definite answer.
>
>      I have 2 pc (A and B) connecting by Ethernet. 1 harddisk is
> attaching on A and sharing through ATA over Ethernet. Is it possible
> for B to access hardisk using GFS over AOE? Any know issue (like
> caching). I suppose A must need to access the harddisk through GFS as
> well, am I correct?

Yes. Both machines would need direct access to the shared disk. That
should be possible using AoE, although I've not tried it myself.

>      If any, is there comparison between GFS (on AOE?) and NFS on
> throughput and CPU loading?
>      Thanks a lot.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jacky
> --
Bearing in mind that AoE is a really simple protocol, I'd expect that
NFS would create more cpu loading. However, that is a bit of an odd way
to compare the two solutions. Normally the cpu is not the limiting
factor, especially with lower end solutions such as AoE, it is more
likely that the shared disk will be the bottleneck,

Steve.