[Linux-cluster] GFS on AOE

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Dec 7 16:24:17 UTC 2010

Jeff Sturm wrote:
> [...]

It's still an unusual setup. Rather than use a lopsided setup of one
node using the disk directly and the other via AoE, it would probably be
safer and more reasonable to have the physical disk only accessed by the
AoE server daemon and have both nodes connect to that..

> Nevertheless, the configuration suggested by the OP is unusual, and
> won't be very useful in my opinion.  Having node B rely on a hard disk
> in node A leaves node A as a single point of failure.

Arguably a "proper" SAN would also be a SPOF itself - unless you have
two mirrored in real-time.

DRBD is good for a "poor man's SAN" that does away with the SPOF, unlike
most "enterprise grade" SANs that are based on the assumption that the
SAN will never fail.

Gordan