[Linux-cluster] gfs2 tuning

yvette hirth yvette at dbtgroup.com
Tue Dec 7 19:03:24 UTC 2010

hi all,

we've now defined three nodes with two more being added soon, and the
GFS2 filesystems are shared between all nodes.

and, of course, i have questions.  8^O

the servers are HP DL380 G6's.  initially i used ipmi_lan as the fence
manager, with limited success; now i'm using ILO as the fence manager,
and at boot, fenced takes forever (well, 5 min or so, which in IT time
is forever) to start.  is this normal?  the ilo2 connections are all on
a separate unmanaged dell 2624 switch, which has only the three ILO2
node connections, and nothing else.

next, we've added SANbox2 as a backup fencing agent, and the fibre
switch is an HP 8/20q (QLogic).  i'm not sure if the SANbox2 support is
usable on the 8/20q.  anyone have any experience with this?  if this is
supported, wouldn't it be faster to fence/unfence than ip-based fencing?

we've got ping_pong downloaded and tested the cluster.  we're getting
about 2500-3000 locks/sec when ping_pong runs on one node; on two, the
locks/sec drops a bit; and on all three nodes, the most we've seen with
ping_pong running on all three nodes is ~1800 locks/sec.  googling has
produced claims of 200k-300k locks/sec when running ping_pong on one node...

most of the GFS2 filesystems (600-6000 resource groups) store a
relatively small number of very large (2GB+) files.  the extremes among
the GFS2 filesystems are:  86 files comprising 800GB, to ~98k files
comprising 256GB.  we've googled "gfs2 tuning" but don't seem to be
coming up with anything specific, and rather than "experiment" - which
on GFS2 filesystems can take "a while" - i thought i'd ask, "have we
done something wrong?"

finally, how does the cluster.conf resource definitions interact with
GFS2?  is it only for "cluster operation"; i.e., only when fencing /
unfencing?  we specified "noatime,noquota,data=writeback" on all GFS2
filesytems (journals = 5).  is this causing our lock rate to fall?  and
even tho we've changed the resource definition in cluster.conf and set
the same parms on /etc/fstab, when mounts are displayed, we do not see
"noquota" anywhere...

thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide us!

yvette