[Linux-cluster] To SELinux or not to SELinux ?

de Jong, Mark-Jan deJongm at TEOCO.com
Fri Dec 10 16:29:37 UTC 2010

Hello,
I've had my share of conversations with the RH cluster folks regarding SELinux. They're answer at the time was (at least regarding RHEL5) that RH cluster suite was not certified to work with SELinux enabled. I HAVE made it work, but there were many instances where kernel or package updates ended up breaking it again. In the end I gave up due to time constraints and set SELinux to permissive in hopes to revisit it again sometime in the future.

Hope that helps.

-M

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Nicolas Ross
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 10:22 AM
To: linux clustering
Subject: [Linux-cluster] To SELinux or not to SELinux ?

Over the CentOS-users list there is a long on-going thread about SELinux.
Since it's introduction a while back, I alwasy disabled selinux because of
the added complexity and never took the time to learn it.

For our soon to be production cluster of 8 nodes, I will be attempting to at
least set selinux at permissive to see how it works and learn it. Our
services are mostly of 3 type. Database server, apache server, our own
compile, and used in a non-standard locations and java servers, using the
default java, application and data directory on the gfs shared storage.

So, for a cluster, using fencing, gfs, and all the needed tools to run a
cluster, is there any reason not to use selinux ? I am looking to see if
cluster operator use or do not use selinux...

Thanks,
Nicolas