[Linux-cluster] Clustered LVM locking issues

Kit Gerrits kitgerrits at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 08:15:07 UTC 2010

Hello,

I might have misunderstood, but:

I am assuming one machine is exporting local storage via iSCSI.
Might it be easier to use LVM om the base storage device and take your
snapshot there?
(by exporting a LV as iSCSI target)
(keep inmind, this machine would be a SPOF for the entire cluster)

If you are using a Shared Storage Device and exporting the iSCSI target
using a cluster, this would be a problem, as this would also be a Clustered
LV.
In this case, advanced Shared Storage Devices offer internal LVM snapshots,
which do no interfere with the LUN. (HP MSA devices offer this)
It will allow you to chreate a LVM shapshot of your (iSCSI/SCSI/FC)LUN
without interfering with the 'O/S LVM layer', therefore allowing you to
continue exporting your device.

Regards,

Kit