[Linux-cluster] [clvm] Volume group for uuid not found

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Feb 1 23:42:18 UTC 2010

Abraham Alawi wrote:
> On 2/02/2010, at 11:31 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>
>> Abraham Alawi wrote:

>>> I reckon GNBD will be a better solution in your case, DRBD is more
>>> suitable for non-cluster file systems (e.g. ext3, xfs .. ) in case
>>> of active-passive
>> DRBD is specifically designed to also work in active-active mode. I've been running shared root GFS clusters on DRBD for years. DRBD is singularly _THE_ best solution for network RAID1, _especially_ in active-active mode with a clustered file system on top. It also handles resyncing after outages much more gracefully and transparently than other similar solutions.
>>
>> Gordan
>>

> Yes, it does work in active-active but DRBD people themselves don't
> recommend running it in production active-active under cluster file
> system, I quote from their website:
> "DRBD's primary-primary mode with a shared disk file system (GFS,
> OCFS2). These systems are very sensitive to failures of the
> replication network. Currently we cannot generally recommend this
> for production use."
> http://www.drbd.org/home/mirroring/

That surprises me - it could just be an out of date page. I've used it
in active-active mode with GFS on top in all sorts of harsh and abusive
edge-case ways and never saw it skip a beat.

> In terms of production solution I reckon GNBD is designed more
> specifically for that purpose.

Not really. GNBD is really paper thin and quite dumb. It doesn't
actually have any feature overlap with DRBD. It's more akin to iSCSI, in
the sense that it is for exporting a block device, not mirroring a block
device. In other words it's a 1->many export feature. It won't provide
mirroring on it's own. Features like mirroring and post-outage resync
have to be taken higher by "some else". And these alternatives handle
failures nowhere nearly as gracefully as DRBD. For example, if a DRBD
mirror fails (failed disk), all access will get transparently redirected
to the surviving mirror. If a node disconnects, upon reconnection it
will sync on the blocks that changed since it was last connected, and do
so transparently, as you would expect.

Gordan