[Linux-cluster] Looking for guidance

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Sun Feb 21 20:30:38 UTC 2010

Hey,
I am new to clusters, and have been reading up all the options but
given I haven't any experience ever setting one up I don't know which
option is best suited.

I need to replicate a local volume between two servers, and export the
data via nfs and rsyncd from either. They only need to be active/passive.

I originally thought drbd and heartbeat v1 would be the simplest but looking
at what's needed for nfs to work looks slightly hackish and I really don't
know how well this will perform (It could very well be the best option).

After looking at alternatives, I figured the cluster suite from rhel might
be a good supported option but given the two node, active/passive setup
that looks like it is way over complicated.

The need for fencing can be slightly mitigated by requiring manual intervention
to rejoin a node that has left, it's not active/active HA I am looking for,
but redundant data and weak ha through failover. The nodes are in two buildings
connected by gig fiber.

Any experienced ops have any insight into an approach best suited that
I could settle on and start researching?

Thx,
jlc