[Linux-cluster] fence_ipmilan

jose nuno neto jose.neto at liber4e.com
Mon Jan 18 13:13:25 UTC 2010

Hi

Sorry for not posting the info before....
I repeated the steps, and now fence_ipmilan -o reboot powers down the
machine, no power up, and ILOm gets reseted to factory defaults ????

Below is the info, I've been finding the fence_ipmilan not very reliable,
any one using it in prod? what is the most used fencing methods?

##### Info for ipmi #####
SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULE, ILOM v3.0.6.10, r48729
fence_ipmilan 2.0.115 (built Sep  2 2009 11:45:31)

fence_ipmilan -a 172.26.18.3 -l xxxx -p xxxx -o status
Getting status of IPMI:172.26.18.3...Chassis power = On
Done

fence_ipmilan -a 172.26.255.1 -l xxxx -p xxxx -o reboot
Rebooting machine @ IPMI:172.26.255.1...ipmilan: Failed to connect after
10 seconds

Powers Down, no power Up, Ilo goes to factory Reset

/etc/ipmi_lan.conf
addr 0.0.0.0
priv_limit admin
allowed_auths_callback md5
allowed_auths_user md5
allowed_auths_operator md5
allowed_auths_admin md5
user 2 true xxxx xxxx admin 1 md5

ipmitool lan print

Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
Auth Type Enable        : Callback : MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
                        : User     : MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
                        : Operator : MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
                        : Admin    : MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
                        : OEM      :
IP Address Source       : Static Address
IP Address              : 172.26.18.5
Subnet Mask             : 255.255.240.0
MAC Address             : 00:14:4f:ca:83:4e
SNMP Community String   : public
IP Header               : TTL=0x00 Flags=0x00 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x00
BMC ARP Control         : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Enabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl   : 5.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP      : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway MAC     : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 2,3,0
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                        :     X=Cipher Suite Unused
                        :     c=CALLBACK
                        :     u=USER
                        :     o=OPERATOR
                        :     a=ADMIN
                        :     O=OEM

ipmitool -U ipmi -P ipmi -H malta8 chassis status
System Power         : on
Power Overload       : false
Power Interlock      : inactive
Main Power Fault     : false
Power Control Fault  : false
Power Restore Policy : always-off
Last Power Event     :
Chassis Intrusion    : inactive
Front-Panel Lockout  : inactive
Drive Fault          : false
Cooling/Fan Fault    : false

> On 1/15/2010 3:53 PM, jose nuno neto wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to set up fencing with ipmi on 2node cluster.
>> I have ipmi working fine and I can issue shutdown/reboot commands through
>> ipmitool, but when I use fence_ipmilan the command is executed but
fence_ipmilan keeps waiting for aknowledge ( I guess ) and closes with
error.
>> Then fenced daemon keeps trying to fence again.
>> Is there a way to prevent this? What is fenced_ipmilan expecting from the
>> machine it has been shutdown?
>> Much Thanks
>> Jose
>
> Might be helpful to know what version of fence_ipmilan you are using and
how you configured it in cluster.conf. Did you try using fence_ipmilan
from command line?

> Fabio

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.