[Linux-cluster] NFS clustering, with SAN

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 23:57:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Jonathan Horne <loudredz71 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> greetings, i am new to this list, my apologies if this topic has been touched on before (but so far searching has not yielded a direction for me to follow)
>
> i have 2 servers that share a file system over SAN.  both servers export this file system as a NFS share.  i need to implement some sort of clustering so that if one server goes down, clients dont lose their connection to the exported file system.  im hoping to find some implementation that will have a pretty instantaneous failover, as there will be pretty constant filewrites/reads from multiple client servers.
>
> can i please get some recommendations on what i should research to make this happen? ill gladly accept tips, or documents to read, i can work with either.
>
> thanks,
> Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the list.  I have a large nfs cluster I manage.  All of the
configuration magic to reduce the downtime and headache is on the NFS
client side.  When there is a failover event, there is a short outage
period for the IP to switch over to the other node.  A lot of things
affect this, including your switching (arp) environment.  Is it a
single export?  If not, you can create each export as a separate
service, with associating separate IP address and create an
active/active type of NFS environment.  Just a thought.

Thanks,
Terry