[Linux-cluster] fence cold shutdown

Paul M. Dyer pmdyer at ctgcentral2.com
Wed Jan 27 23:41:29 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am testing failover of Xen VM services on a 3-node Cluster Suite install.   To begin, I just did a reboot of node-1, that had one VM service running.   The VM service was migrated as part of the node shutdown.

Okay, now for something more severe.  I started node-1 again, and migrated that same VM service back there.   This time, I did a hard poweroff of the node.   The VM service showed state "stopping" in clustat, as the node showed "Offline".   I left the node powered off for about 10 minutes, but the VM service never got migrated or restarted on the other nodes of the cluster.

I then powered on node-1.  The VM service started back up on node-3, which is the preferred node for it's failover domain.

Shouldn't that VM service restart automatically even while node-1 was down?

Thanks for help.

Paul

P.S.
RHEL 5.4 xen kernel 64bit