[Linux-cluster] fence_ilo

King, Adam adam.king at intechnology.com
Fri Jan 29 11:39:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

Trying this again with a few updated details and a slightly different
problem...

I have a 2 node cluster (xen1 and xen2) running on dl380 G3's. There are
2 virtual machines running on these. From xen1 from the shell command
line I can fence xen2 through the hp lights out port using
/sbin/fence_ilo -a 192.168.1.53 -l aking -p password -v, or using the
comoonics-bootimage-fenceclient-ilo-0.1-16.noarch.rpm. I can also do the
same from the second node and successfully fence the first node. When I
fence the node that has control of one or more virtual machines they are
migrated to the other node.

If I fence a node in Luci this works too.

I have xen1-ilo and xen2-ilo set in /etc/hosts with their respective ip
addresses

When I run an /sbin/reboot -f on xen2, xen1 successfully fences that
node and if necessary takes control of any virtual machines that are on
it.

When I run an /sbin/reboot -f on xen1, xen2 does not even try and fence
node1 and just waits for it to come back up and rejoin the cluster.
/sbin/fenced is running on both machines, I cannot see any difference in
the running services between them.

The problem here is that if there is that problem with xen1, the virtual
machines will be down. This kinda ruins the idea of a cluster for me.

Can anyone advise why this is happening?

Cheers

Adam

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. If you
have received this message in error, you may not use,
disclose, copy or distribute its content in any way. Please notify the
sender immediately. All messages are scanned for all viruses.

Adam King
Systems Administrator
adam.king at intechnology.com

InTechnology plc
Support 0845 120 7070
Telephone 01423 850000
Facsimile 01423 858866
www.intechnology.com

This is an email from InTechnology plc, Central House, Beckwith Knowle, Harrogate, UK, HG3 1UG.
Registered in England 3916586.