[Linux-cluster] Higher Grained Definition of IP Address Assignments?

Kit Gerrits kitgerrits at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 02:58:42 UTC 2010

Hello,

What you want sounds more like Load Balancing than HA Clustering.

I would suggest building a lvs load balancing cluster with 10.1.1.x as
front-end IP and 10.1.2 as backend IP.
Make the LVS the default gateway for your 'cluster servers' (realservers),
then configure 1-.1.1.50 on your LVS cluster as Virtual IP with the 10.1.2.x
realservers as backend using NAT routing.

Documentation isa vailable at:
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/
or, more specifically:
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-NAT.html

LVS should be included in Red Hat Advanced Platform.

Yes, running a LoadBalancing cluster means 2 more servers and 2 more
subscriptions, but it will allow for highly-available Load Balancing.
(implicitly allowing you to take realservers offline for maintenance)

Regards,

Kit Gerrits

  _____