[Linux-cluster] qdisk WITHOUT fencing

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Jun 17 23:58:10 UTC 2010

On 18/06/2010 00:46, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> You can make use of whatever technologies you want such as iptables, switch
> ports etc in your own script and return a "success" to the fenced so things
> carry on.

Absolutely. Many things can be used to provide reliable fencing.

> I use drbd between my two node w/o a qdisc and have drbd play a role in mitigating
> the issues you describe. My two nodes are also separated by fiber and I
> encountered the same issue where one node might be able to fence the other
> properly.

Sure, DRBD can assume it's primary after a timeout when the peer goes
away, but the stonith option is there for a reason. Ultimately, when the
other node re-joins, one DRBD instance will "win", and the other will
sync to it. If something else was accessing it at the time, it'll have
the rug pulled out from under it when it's FS consistency suddenly goes
down the pan.

Gordan