[Linux-cluster] qdisk WITHOUT fencing

Jankowski, Chris Chris.Jankowski at hp.com
Fri Jun 18 06:57:13 UTC 2010

Brem,

I love this analogy.

Using the analogy you gave, the problem with a mafioso is that he cannot kill all other mafiosos in the gang when they are all sitting in solitary confinment cells (:-)).

I would like to remark that this STONITH business causes endless problems in clusters within a single data centre too. For example a temporary hiccup on the network that causes short heartbeat failure triggers all nodes of the cluster to kill the other nodes. And boy, do they succeed with a typical HP iLO fencing. You can see all your nodes going down. Then they come back and the shootout continues essentially indefinitely if fencing works. If not, then they all block.

And all of that is so unnecessary, as a combination of a properly implemented quorum disk and SCSI reservations with local boot disks and data disks on shared storage could provide quorum maintenance, split-brain avoidance and protection of the integrity of the filesystem. DEC ASE cluster on Ultrix and MIPS hardware had that in 1991. You do not even need GFS2, although it is very nice to have a real cluster filesystem.

By the way, I believe that commercial stretched cluster on Linux is not possible if you rely on LVM for distributed storage. Linux LVM is architecturally incapable of providing any resilience over distance, IMHO.  It is missing the plex and subdisk layers as in Veritas LVM and has no notion of location, so you it cannot tell which piece of storage is in which data centre. The only volume manager that I know that has this feature is in OpenVMS.  Perhaps the latest Veritas has it too.

One could use distributed storage arrays of the type of HP P4000 (bought with Left Hand Networks). This shifts the problem from the OS to the storage vendor.

What distributed storage would you use in a hypothetical stretched cluster?

Regards,

Chris Jankowski