[Linux-cluster] GFS2 and D state HTTPD processes

Emilio Arjona emilio.ah at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 11:10:43 UTC 2010

Thanks for your response, Steve.

2010/3/2 Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho at redhat.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 16:52 +0100, Emilio Arjona wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are experiencing some problems commented in an old thread:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-cluster@redhat.com/msg07091.html
>>
>> We have 3 clustered servers under Red Hat 5.4 accessing a GFS2 resource.
>>
>> fstab options:
>> /dev/vg_cluster/lv_cluster /opt/datacluster gfs2
>> defaults,noatime,nodiratime,noquota 0 0
>>
>> GFS options:
>> plock_rate_limit="0"
>> plock_ownership=1
>>
>> httpd processes run into D status sometimes and the only solution is
>> hard reset the affected server.
>>
>> Can anyone give me some hints to diagnose the problem?
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>
> Can you give me a rough idea of what the actual workload is and how it
> is distributed amoung the director(y/ies) ?

We had problems with php sessions in the past but we fixed it by
configuring php to store the sessions in the database instead of in
the GFS filesystem. Now, we're having problems with files and
directories in the "data" folder of Moodle LMS.

"lsof -p" returned a i/o operation over the same folder in 2/3 nodes,
we did a hard reset of these nodes but some hours after the CPU load
grew up again, specially in the node that wasn't rebooted. We decided
to reboot (vía ssh) this node, then the CPU load went down to normal
values in all nodes.

I don't think the system's load is high enough to produce concurrent
access problems. It's more likely to be some misconfiguration, in
fact, we changed some GFS2 options to non default values to increase
performance (http://www.linuxdynasty.org/howto-increase-gfs2-performance-in-a-cluster.html).

> This is often down to contention on glocks (one per inode) and maybe
> because there is a process of processes writing a file or directory
> which is in use (either read-only or writable) by other processes.
>
> If you are using php, then you might have to strace it to find out what
> it is really doing,

Ok, we will try to strace the D processes and post the results. Hope
we find something!!

> Steve.
>
>> --
>>
>> Emilio Arjona.