[Linux-cluster] Is Global FS the way to go?

Zaeem Arshad zaeem.arshad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 04:03:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Michael McGlothlin
<michaelm at plumbersstock.com> wrote:
> I'm setting up two servers to share the load of running several virtual
> machines (currently running ESXi) that are currently running on just one
> server (which will later be upgraded and added back to the cluster). I am
> trying to decide what is an affordable way to provide a shared file system
> so that in case of a server going down another can pick up where it left
> off. I want data to be mirrored live if possible and for data access to be
> fast and reliable. Is Global FS a good fit for this use? From looking at the
> docs it appears I could set up a local virtual sever on each machine and
> have it keep a local copy that keeps itself in sync with the other servers
> using the filesystem. Then all other VMs could access their local server via
> iSCSI or NFS.
>
> Or is this all completely the wrong way to go and there is a better way to
> meet my goals? My budget is really tight so I can't spend tens of thousands
> of dollars on equipment or software.

I will be watching this thread with great interest as I am in a
similar situation. Right now, my plan is to share the disks on the two
servers using DRBD providing a RAID-1 and then share the DRBD volume
using GFS. As per my little understanding, you will have to use CLVM
to make sure you don't run into other issues. I have yet to test this
configuration though.

Regards

--
Zaeem