[Linux-cluster] Possible bug in rhel5 for nested HA-LVM resources?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 22:42:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 16:53:49 -0500, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> As it happens, the 'fs' file system type looks for child 'fs' resources:
>
>         <child type="fs" start="1" stop="3"/>
>
> ... but it does not have an entry for 'lvm', which would be required to
> make it work in the order you specified.

With this argument I understand expected behaviour now, even if not so
intuitive imho
Probably it's only me, but I did read the page referred in [1] and I didn't
deduce what you write above...

I intended child as a child from an xml tag inclusion point of view, not in
the sense of pre-defined hierarchy between type-specified resources...
In fact there are terms such as "type-specified children" and "untyped
children"....
In my case lvm is a type-specified child as I understood, so that I thought
it should have started after the same level fs resource... not before it

Resuming, you say
As it happens, the 'fs' file system type looks for child 'fs' resources
I thought
As it happens, the 'fs' file system type looks for child resources and
starts them based on defined child ordering (so lvm:TEST_TEMP before
fs:TEST_TEMP)
Thanks for explanation

Now,
if passing from a running
                <service domain="MAIN" autostart="1" name="TESTSRV">
                        <ip ref="10.4.5.157"/>
                        <lvm ref="TEST_APPL"/>
                        <fs ref="TEST_APPL"/>
                        <lvm ref="TEST_DATA"/>
                        <fs ref="TEST_DATA">
                                <lvm ref="TEST_TEMP"/>
                                 <fs ref="TEST_TEMP"/>
                        </fs>
                        <script ref="clusterssh"/>
                </service>

To your suggested

  <service domain="MAIN" autostart="1" name="TESTSRV">
    <ip ref="10.4.5.157"/>
    <lvm ref="TEST_APPL"/>
    <fs ref="TEST_APPL"/>
    <lvm ref="TEST_DATA"/>
    <lvm ref="TEST_TEMP"/>
    <fs ref="TEST_DATA">
      <fs ref="TEST_TEMP"/>
    </fs>
    <script ref="clusterssh"/>
  </service>

will or will not disrupt service (such as umount/mount of the FS_TEMP
filesystem)?

Gianluca

**