[Linux-cluster] Storage Cluster Newbie Questions - any help with answers greatly appreciated!

Michael @ Professional Edge LLC m3 at professionaledgellc.com
Thu Mar 4 17:26:35 UTC 2010

Hello Kaloyan,

Thank you for the thoughts.

You are correct when I said - "Active / Passive" - I simply meant that I
had no need for "Active / Active" - and floating IP on the NFS share
would be exactly what I had in mind.

The software raid - of any type, raid1,5,6 etc... is the issue.  From
what I have read - mdadm - is not cluster aware... and... since all
disks are seen by all RHEL nodes. - As Leo mentioned; some method to
disable the kernel from finding detecting and attempting to assemble all
the available software raids - is a major problem.  This is why I was
asking if perhaps - CLVM w/mirroring would be a better method.  Although
since it was just introduced in RHEL 5.3 - I am a bit leery.

Sorry for being confusing - yes - the linux machines will have a
completely different filesystem share; than the windows machines.  My
original thought was I would do "node#1 primary nfs share (floating
ip#1) to linux machines w/node#2 backup" - and then "node#2 primary nfs
or samba share (floating ip#2) to windows machines w/node#1 backup".

Any more thoughts you have would be appreciated... as my original plan
with MDADM w/HA-LVM - so far doesn't seem very possible.

-Michael