[Linux-cluster] Shared storage across clustered VMs?

Brett Cave brettcave at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 09:59:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:23 AM, Jeff Karpinski <jeff at 3d0g.net> wrote:

> Our assigned Red Hat engineer was on-site today and pointed out the
> blindingly obvious solution. Can't believe I didn't think of it: Run NFS as
> a clustered service and have the VMs mount that. That way ANY system - even
> outside of the cluster - can also access the data.

This is what we are doing, works great. We considered presenting the raw
devices from our SAN (fc connectivity instead of iSCSI) to the VM's, but
opted against it due to dynamics of changing # of VM's and GFS requirements
for journals / # of nodes, as well as multicast issues (each dom0 uses a
different routed network for VM's). Each VM mounts NFS from its host.