[Linux-cluster] Shared storage across clustered VMs?

Brett Cave brettcave at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 11:02:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:

> On 2010/03/05 11:59 AM, Brett Cave wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:23 AM, Jeff Karpinski <jeff at 3d0g.net> wrote:
>
>> Our assigned Red Hat engineer was on-site today and pointed out the
>> blindingly obvious solution. Can't believe I didn't think of it: Run NFS as
>> a clustered service and have the VMs mount that. That way ANY system - even
>> outside of the cluster - can also access the data.
>>

> This is what we are doing, works great. We considered presenting the raw
> devices from our SAN (fc connectivity instead of iSCSI) to the VM's, but
> opted against it due to dynamics of changing # of VM's and GFS requirements
> for journals / # of nodes, as well as multicast issues (each dom0 uses a
> different routed network for VM's). Each VM mounts NFS from its host.
>

> What kind of security do you apply, both to the NFS cluster, and the data
> that get accessed on it?

heya rudi, never realised u were on this list too ;)

the exports are controlled by source IP address in /etc/exports. The data on
there is not sensitive data at all in our environment, and GFS is all server
environment, with no user access...  but I just tested using ACLs and it
works 100% (added the acl option to gfs mount, and configured using
setfacl). We are using ldap network authentication, so works nicely with
group permissions ;)

(although we do have 1 luks volume image on the gfs filesystem that is
mounted by one of the phy machines using a keyfile stored locally).