[Linux-cluster] failing to grasp

Michael @ Professional Edge LLC m3 at professionaledgellc.com
Tue Mar 16 05:04:53 UTC 2010

I'm sure others can provide a much more in depth answer but in short...
Not all "file systems" are cluster aware.

Something like GFS can be active on all nodes at the same time; because
it uses a lock manager that makes every node in your cluster "chat" with
each other to determine who is writing to the filesystem to keep it from
corrupting itself.

In my case, I need xfs (or maybe ext3) for a few reasons; hence I'll be
doing "active - passive" on a 2 node cluster - and therefore passing the
filesystem and luns back and forth - between "primary vs. standby".

-Michael