[Linux-cluster] setting an Active / Passive property in a Cluster

Martin Waite Martin.Waite at datacash.com
Fri Mar 26 10:13:28 UTC 2010

Hi,

I want to run an Active cluster in my primary site, and a Passive
cluster in my DR site.

Failover between Master and Failover units in the Active site will
follow a different procedure in the Active site than that in the Passive
site.

Therefore, the members of the clusters need to know if they are in the
Active site or the Passive site, so that they perform the correct
flavour of failover.

My initial thought is to implement the state as a script resource agent
within the cluster:

  <service autostart="0" domain="dbdomain" exclusive="0"
name="active_site_marker" recovery="relocate">

    <script name="active_site" file="/bin/true"/>

  </service>

This will need to be manually stopped / started as the sites are
variously demoted to Passive / promoted to Active, and the resource will
survive whatever host failures occur in either cluster.  A member of
either cluster can determine the cluster's status by grepping through
the list of services in the cluster and finding the active_site resource
and checking its status.

However it feels a bit clunky.  The "service" might fail to relocate, or
might relocate during a failover event and therefore confuse things.

Is there a simpler, more robust way of setting the cluster status ?  One
thought is that I could rename the cluster according to the site status
and test the name during a failover event, however I am not sure that
reconfiguring a cluster in this way is a good idea during our
time-pressured site-failover process.

regards,

Martin