[Linux-cluster] Get qdisk to use /dev/mapper/mpathx devices instead of /dev/dm-x

Celso K. Webber celsowebber at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 04:00:20 UTC 2010

Hello all,

In my experience, I tend no to use the label in qdisk specification, because it leads qdisk to use the first device it encounters containing that label. Another case is when the device is not found at all, this happened to me before.

I know your question is related to native DM Multipathing, but under EMC storages, using EMC's PowerPath multipath software, there is no way to force qdisk to use the "pseudo device" other than specifying the "mutipath device" instead of the label of the quorum device. Specifically under EMC PowerPath, you may end up with qdisk pointing to one of the devices that corresponds to a single path (/dev/sdXXX), instead of the pseudo device that passes the MP software for failover (/dev/emcpowerXXX under EMC PowerPath).

So I always specify the device I want whenever the multipath software maintains multiple devices to the same LUN. Some MP software (for instance, Linux RDAC)  "hide" the various devices for the same LUN, so you'll end with only one single device per LUN. In this case, you can use the qdisk label safely.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Celso.