[Linux-cluster] gfs limitations regarding some features

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Mon May 10 11:26:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 11:46 +0100, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> a friend told me that I might run into problems if I try to use gfs/gfs2
> in systems with the following requirements:
>
> - Samba
You need to be careful to ensure that (a) you don't share samba data
with either local applications or via NFS at the same time and (b) that
you use the version of samba which understands a clustered fs backend.
Beyond that it should work and is supported.

> - POSIX ACLs
No issues that I'm aware of. These should just work.

> - users and group quotas
There are changes in this area. The old gfs2_quota tool still works. We
intend to replace that with the generic quota-tools at some future
point, but both will be available for the time being.

> - RAID (mdadm)
You can't run md over shared block devices. You can use hardware raid
though,

Steve.