[Linux-cluster] Starter Cluster / GFS

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Nov 11 09:08:00 UTC 2010

Nicolas Ross wrote:

> Ok, I see. Our applications will read/write into its own directory most
> of the time. In the rare cases when it'll be possible that 2 nodes
> read/writes to the same directory, it'll be for php sessions files. If
> we ever need to reach to this stage, we'll have to make a custom session
> handler to put them into a central memcached or something else...

You may be better off moving the session files to an asynchronous
storage medium. Something like master-master replicated MySQL or
SeznamFS if you want to use the file system. You'll likely save a
considerable amount of latency on accesses. You don't need 100%
real-time synchronicity on session information in this way. A few
milliseconds of lag should be fine and it'll reduce the access latencies
by potentially quite a lot.

Gordan